Space saver bags (aka vacuum bags) help you conveniently store foods in the freezer. People also use them when they’re packing clothes and toiletries for travel. Space saver bags make everything so compact that you can put more things in your backpack.
But, they are pretty useless if don’t know how to release the air and vacuum seal the bags. If you have a vacuum sealer, the job is pretty easy for you. However, if you don’t have one and aren’t planning to buy one, you have to know how to use a space bag without a vacuum.
Using a Space Bag without a Vacuum
There are a few methods of vacuum sealing that you can use when you don’t have a vacuum sealer. ‘Putting it underwater is one of them. In this method, you have to put the space bag underwater and seal it.
How to Seal Solid Foods
You can use this method to seal solid foods such as vegetables, beans, grains, and chicken breasts. Here is how to do it:
- Take a large bowl or pot filled with water; lay down a towel nearby.
- Put the solid foods into the vacuum bag. It’s better to spread the food evenly inside the bag, rather than make a swollen ball with it.
- Release as much air as possible by pressing on the bag and press the seal as it gets almost closed. Leave a little corner unzipped.
- Hold the little corner that was left unsealed; then dip the whole bag into water except the little corner on top. Press the bag with the other hand, making way for the trapped air to release.
- As the bag has shrunk after releasing all air, press the corner zipped.
Now take the bag out of water. If it still looks like there is air trapped in the bag, check if there is any fault in the bag. If don’t find anything wrong with the bag, then try again.
Since it’s perfectly sealed, put the bag on the towel to dry. Now it’s ready to store.
Pro Tip: Before putting solid foods inside the bag, you can fold the bag outward, making it more convenient for you to put things inside. Because in this way the space bag can stand upright. Plus, you can avoid drips on the zip.
But, do it very carefully so that you don’t rip the edge of your bag apart.
How to Seal Liquids
Sealing Liquid foods takes almost the same process except for some subtle differences. Here is the process:
- Fill the space bag almost all the way full, leaving a little place on top.
- Press out as much air as you can and seal the bag almost closed, leaving a little path for the trapped air to release.
- Press the bag against something until the air trapped inside the bag is released. When All the liquid will go below, check if there is any air left to release. If it’s the case, repeat the process and press all the air out.
- Now seal the bag closed. It’s ready to store and freeze.
After performing this process one or two times, you will understand better how it works. It is not as difficult as it seems to be. It’s worth giving it a try.
Using a Straw
This method is not applicable when you want to seal liquids. However, you can follow this method to seal clothes and solid foods. Yet, it goes better in sealing clothes.
- Take a space bag and put your clothes in it. You need to fold your clothes before putting them in.
- Seal the bag almost close, leaving a little space for a straw to put inside.
- Put the straw inside and take the air in your mouth the same as you take mango juice. Sounds weird, but it works.
- As you can see there is no air left inside and the bag is shrunk, seal the bag fully closed.
This way your bags will be more compact which means you can take a lot of things in your back. Although it is not a convenient way for vacuuming, you can still give it a try.
Also Read: 5 Finest Stroller Bag For Air Travel.
It is always convenient for you to use a vacuum sealer. Yet, as you don’t need to vacuum seal so often, you can use these hacks to get the job done. Among the tips I have shared, the immersion method is more likely to attract you. Because it’s the easiest way to vacuum seal your foodstuffs.
However, the other two processes are not as useless as some may deem. The real thing is you can save some money by using these methods. As you now know how to use a space bag without a vacuum, it is worth giving it a try.
You May Also Like: