“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”— Saint Augustine.
Traveling is an amazing experience. It refreshes our minds and enriches our souls.
But the problem comes with cooking. You cannot take your kitchen or any portable stove to cook your food.
Portable travel cookers come to solve the problem. You can now cook food when traveling with the travel cooker. It takes less space in your packing and delivers maximum convenience when cooking any food.
Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to use a portable travel cooker during traveling. The process is simple.
Rinse your rice or any food, place them in the cooker, add necessary ingredients, cover the cooker, and start cooking. The cooker will deliver food in no time.
The Process of Using A Portable Travel Cooker During Traveling
Let’s dive into the process of using a portable travel cooker. Make sure you follow every step carefully.
Safety Always Comes First
Safety always comes first. You do not want to experience anything bad when traveling. Follow the safety guidelines below.
- Read the instruction manual first.
- Try not to use any hot surface without proper protection. Use knob and handle for maneuvering.
- Never immerse the cord, plug, or cooker base in water to prevent electric hazards.
- Do not fill more water than recommended to prevent electric shock.
- Keep your eyes open when children are nearby.
- Always keep the cord away from children and hot surfaces.
- Do not use any damaged cord or damaged pot.
- Use only the recommended accessories with the travel cooker.
- Keep the cooker away from gas sources, electric ovens, or burners.
- Turn off the switch before removing the cord.
- Do not use the cooker for other uses.
- Never add water directly without removing the cord.
If You Are Using It For The First Time
If you are a new user of the portable cooker, make sure you follow the instructions below.
- Remove all the packaging and get familiar with every part of the cooker.
- Read the manual carefully and thoroughly.
- Clean the cover with clothes. Do not rinse it in water.
How To Use A Portable Travel Cooker?
Let’s see how you can use a portable travel cooker while traveling.
Step 1: Place the Cooker in A Good Position
It is always important to pick a good location to place the cooker for the best result. For that,
- Pick an even and dry surface.
- Keep the knob facing outward.
- Pull out the cord from the storage.
- Remove the lid and verify the pot is in the right place.
Step 2: Prepare the Food
Once you place the cooker in a good position, it is time to prepare the food. For that,
- Check your recipe and prepare the food.
- Put the correct weight of food in the cooker.
- Do not fill the food above the recommended level and not below the half.
- Use wood or heat-resistant nylon or plastic utensils. Metal utensils will scratch the non-stick finish.
Step 3: Start Cooking
You are now ready to start cooking. To do that,
- Plug the travel cooker into the recommended outlet. It is generally 120v.
- Turn the temperature knob on and set the temperature to the desired level.
- You may notice condensation on the cover. Do not worry, it is normal and it will disappear with time.
- Close the lid and position the handle outwards.
Step 4: Wait for the Food Being Cooked
After starting the travel cooker, you need to wait. You need to keep some important things in mind while waiting.
- The time will vary with the food amount. The more food you put in the cooker, the more time it will take.
- Do not open the lid until you finish cooking. It causes a huge amount of heat loss.
- You can do some other things in the meantime.
Step 5: Finish Cooking and Remove the Cord
Finally, you can finish your cooking. Be careful here and follow the steps below.
- Turn off the temperature control knob.
- Unplug the cord.
- If you have a warm knob in your travel cooker, turn it on before unplugging to keep your food hot.
- Remove the lid.
- Make sure you keep your face away from the lid to prevent burning with hot steam.
How to Use A Portable Electric Rice Cooker During Traveling?
Some people use mini electric rice cookers for traveling. You can cook rice following the steps below.
- Place your cooker.
- Rinse the rice and put it in the pot.
- Add necessary water. Do not add more than the recommended level.
- Add some flavor.
- Close the lid.
- Plug in the cord and start the cooker.
- Set the temperature knob to the desired level.
- Wait for an hour or less depending on the temperature and rice amount.
- Turn the knob off and remove the cord.
- Serve your rice.
How to Clean A Portable Electric Rice Cooker During Traveling
You need to clean the portable cooker for traveling after cooking. Follow the steps below.
- Remove the cord and wait until the cooker becomes cool.
- Detach the cord if possible. Store it in the built-in storage otherwise.
- Use warm water and a mild detergent to clean the cooker.
- Rinse the pot thoroughly and use a cloth to wipe.
- Do not use an abrasive cleaner or steel wool scouring pads. It may damage the cooker.
- Detach utensil holder and clean it along with the cord.
- Lift the cover to an upright position and remove it to clean.
- Wipe down the base with a soft cloth.
- Detach condensation collector and empty the condensation to clean.
- Try dishwasher only if the label says your cooker is dishwasher safe.
- Attach the cord, cover, and utensil holder.
- Dry it naturally.
- Hang it somewhere to get rid of any odor and dry it better.
Tips to Cook with A Portable Travel Cooker Successfully without Any Hassle
You have a portable travel cooker. It does not mean you can cook successfully. You need to follow some tips for successful cooking. Here are the tips—
- Make sure you pick the best portable travel cooker to get the best result.
- Brown the meat and other aromatic ingredients before cooking to reduce fat and enhance the taste.
- Do not open the lid until you finish cooking. It will reduce the pot temperature up to 15 degrees.
- Thaw the frozen food all the time before placing it into the pot.
- Put the vegetables on the bottom for better results as they cook slower than meat.
- Cut vegetables before uniform cooking.
- Fish, milk, and delicate vegetables should be added the last time. They cannot hold up well under long-term heating.
- Do not try something new while traveling. Try a familiar item or practice the new item at home before traveling.
How to Carry A Portable Travel Cooker during Traveling?
Carrying your portable cooker perfectly is important. It saves space and makes your travel smoother. Follow the steps below for easy carrying.
- Put the cord into the built-in cord storage before packing.
- Place the cooker in a vertical position.
- Keep your carrying handle outward and cover inward the bag.
- Do not keep any cooked or prepared food inside the cooker while traveling.
- Make sure you cool down the cooker before packing.
A good portable travel cooker will be a lifesaver during traveling for frequent travelers. It will make your travel a lot easier and take it to the next level. But make sure you know how to use a portable travel cooker during traveling.
You can cook rice, ready-to-eat food, soup, or other items. It also allows you to heat any liquid food to make your traveling more enjoyable. Try to get the right portable travel cooker to get the maximum benefit out of it. It has to be lightweight, compact, and portable. Enjoy your travels.
You May Also Like: