We always want to drink coffee or tea in a clean and hygienic travel mug.
But how can you clean the travel mug?
Should you clean it manually or use the dishwasher?
Can you put travel mugs in the dishwasher? Are travel mugs dishwasher safe?
Well, you can put travel mugs in the dishwasher when it is labeled as ‘dishwasher-safe mug’. Some travel mugs are designed to clean in the dishwasher. But most of the mugs get damaged when you put them in the dishwasher.
The main reason is the construction and engineering of a travel mug. Most mugs consist of the sealed inner and outer layers, plastic bodies, or chemical coating. The dishwasher creates heat and pressure that will damage your mugs badly.
Can You Put Travel Mugs in the Dishwasher?
So, can travel mugs go in the dishwasher?
A few types of travel mugs can be put in the dishwasher and most types cannot be. If there is a “dishwasher-safe” label, you can put the mug in the dishwasher.
You will also find a symbol like ‘plate or a glass with some water droplets’ on the mug. This symbol indicates that you can put the mug in the dishwasher. Steel, ceramic, quality plastic, porcelain, and glass construction are usually dishwasher safe.
If you do not find any symbol or writing like that, you cannot put the travel mugs in the dishwasher. Cheap plastic, copper, wood, aluminum, and crystal construction are not usually dishwasher safe. Some mugs come with a ‘not dishwasher safe’ symbol as well.
Some people think since they can put the travel mugs in the machine. The reason is they carry hot coffee and tea and that does not damage the mug at all.
You should know the cleaning machine creates heat and pressure at the same time. It also deals with the outer part of your mug. So, carrying hot coffee or mug inside the mug and putting it in the dishwasher is not the same.
What Happens If You Put Your Travel Mug in The Dishwasher?
You will damage the mug if the mug is not dishwasher-safe yet you put it in the dishwasher. Air or moisture can penetratethe sealed layers of an insulated mug. Pressure and heat may destroy the insulation system.
Low-quality plastic can melt with heat. It may even get squished due to the pressure. The upper chemical or paint coating of other types of mug may get destroyed in the heat.
How to Know If Your Travel Mug Is Dishwasher Safe?
The only way to be sure whether your mugs are dishwasher safe or not is to see the sign. You will find a sign or symbol declaring that your mug is safe to clean in the dishwasher.
Insulated mugs, cheap plastic mugs, or low-quality glass mugs are not safe to clean in a dishwasher even after having the symbol. These are risky to clean in the machine.
You can buy dishwasher safe coffee travel mugs to clean them in the dishwasher without damaging them.
Why Is Your Travel Mug Not Dishwasher Safe?
The engineering and construction material are the main reasons why your mug is not safe to clean in the dishwasher. Glass, cheap plastic, wood, crystal, or aluminum construction cannot handle the pressure and heat in the machine.
Paint or chemical coating on the mug is also responsible. These cannot handle the heat when cleaning. The insulation system to keep coffee or tea hot may get damaged in high pressure and heat.
How to Clean Travel Mugs without A Dishwasher?
How will you clean your travel mug if it is not dishwasher safe? Well, follow the steps below.
How to Clean Insulated Travel Mugs?
You must clean your insulated travel mugs regularly. To do that, you will need,
- Hot water
- Cleaning liquid
- Scrubbing brush
- A bowl
- Dish washing gloves (optional)
Once you have the required instruments, follow the steps below.
- Use gloves if you have sensitive skin.
- Open the lid and rinse it with hot water.
- Pop open any sealable part of the lid and rinse properly.
- Take hot water in a bowl and add a few drops of liquid to it.
- Rinse the entire mug inside it.
- Wait for 10 minutes to let the mug soak soapy water.
- Take the brush and scrub the body of your mug. Scrub inside thoroughly.
- Clean the remaining part.
- Remove all soapy residues with clean water.
- Wait until the lid and mug dry in natural air. Do not use a hairdryer or sunlight.
How to Clean Stainless Steel Mugs?
You can clean stainless steel mugs in different ways. Follow the methods below.
1. Use Boiling Water and Liquid Soap
Hot boiling water and liquid soap are great to clean stainless steel mugs. Follow the steps below.
- Pour a bowl of boiled water.
- Open the mug and rinse the lid and mug separately.
- Leave it for a night to soak properly.
- Clean it properly and remove all soapy residues with clean water.
- Wait to let it dry and see its shine.
2. Try Diluted Hydrogen Peroxide
You can also use diluted hydrogen peroxide . Follow the steps below.
- Mix 65% of water with 35% of hydrogen peroxide.
- Rinse the mug and lid into hot water.
- Wait for a few minutes to let the mug soak in hot water.
- Spray the diluted hydrogen peroxide over the mug and lid.
- Scrub with a brush properly and thoroughly.
- Clean the mixture with hot water.
- Wait and dry it naturally.
3. Use Vinegar
Vinegar is a great DIY solution to clean your travel mug. It works perfectly to remove grease, grime, molds, and others from the mug. Follow the steps below.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar into the mug.
- Simply close its lid and shake the mug vigorously.
- Pour water until it is half-full.
- Close the lid again and shake properly.
- Use a brush to scrub inside thoroughly.
- Rinse to remove vinegar and dry.
- Wait for drying.
How to Clean Reusable Straw?
Some travel mugs come with a reusable straw. You need to clean them along with the mug. Follow the steps below.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with water.
- Add some baking soda to it.
- Place the straw in it and boil it for 10 minutes.
- Wait to make it cool.
- Use fresh cool water to make it clean.
- Wait to dry naturally and bingo!
How to Keep Your Travel Mugs Clean All the Time?
You certainly do not want to clean your mug daily. It is better to keep it clean. To do that, you can follow the steps below.
- Do not put the mug in a dirty place when not in use.
- Store and organize the mug properly during travel.
- Clean it when you find it dirty.
- Do not leave coffee or tea inside for a long time.
- Keep the lid close when not in use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got more questions to ask? Check out the section below.
No, you should not put insulated mugs in the dishwasher. It will damage the insulating system.
Yes, most of the stainless-steel travel mugs are dishwasher safe only when they have a dishwasher safe label. Not all stainless-steel travel mugs are safe to clean in the dishwasher.
Yes, you can clean the Bodum travel mugs in the dishwasher to get a clean mug every time you travel.
Most of the Yeti cups offer sealed inner and outer layers that make them keep the coffee and tea hot. The pressure and heat of the dishwasher may destroy the system.
So, can you put travel mugs in the dishwasher? Most of the travel mugs are not designed to clean in the dishwasher. The design and construction do not allow the mugs to be cleaned in the machine. You will find a few mugs that can handle the pressure and heat of a dishwasher. Make sure to purchase those mugs only if you do not want any hassle cleaning the mugs. You can also clean the mug manually if it is not dishwasher safe.
You May Also Like:
How to Clean Tea Stains from Stainless Steel Travel Mug.
A list of Our Favorite Travel Food Scale for Track Your Diet Plan.