Who has such a huge time to set a camp on the ground?
Roof top tents are a great way to experience camping without facing any hassle.
It becomes more exciting when you have a Honda CRV. CRV is a perfect vehicle for installing a roof top tent. You will also get more mileage, good off-road performance, and energetic acceleration that is suitable for outdoor camping.
But the problem comes with finding the best roof top tent for Honda CRV. You cannot randomly pick something. Consider the compatibility, weight limit, and space. Try to get an all-season tent with durable construction and UV protection.
Top 3 Best Roof Top Tent for Honda CRV in 2022
Among thousands of options, the best Honda CRV roof top tent is not easy to find. Here are the top 3 picks for you with their features, pros, and cons.
1. Raptor Series 100000-126800 Rooftop Tent with Ladder
Raptor Series 100000-126800 Rooftop Tent is a perfect 2 person tent for your Honda CRV. It comes with a standard size of 86 x 54 x 11 inches which offers plenty of space inside. You can hang your gear or change the dresses in it.
A high-density 78 by 48-inch thick foam mattress offers a 750-pound max load capacity. You can enjoy sleeping or resting inside it.
It features a door that rolls from the top down to make the environment more comfortable. It keeps the airflow running while delivering privacy. The design retains heat during the night while keeping it cool during the day.
You can also enjoy a natural panoramic view due to its awning. Its aerodynamic engineering can easily withstand rainwater and heavy winds. That means you can use it for almost all seasons.
Setting up and closing takes less than seconds. Its unique design eradicates the need for any additional setup. You can do it without taking help from others.
The heavy-duty 8-foot telescoping aluminum ladder makes the entrance easier than you think. A heavy-duty cover is there to keep the tent UV protected and dry when not in use.
It comes with 2 hanging shoes and storage pockets to keep your stuff organized. You can even roll them up for more flexibility.
Things to Appreciate
- Large size for sleeping, resting and changing dresses
- High-quality mattress and proper airflow ensure comfort
- The door rolling facility offers a panorama view
- Aerodynamic design makes it suitable for wind and sheds rain condition
- Storage pockets help to keep your stuff organized
- Installation brackets could be better
- Instruction manual could be better.
2. Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 Extended Rooftop Tent RTT
This Overland Rooftop Tent is another excellent option for Honda CRV. Its 3″ high-density foam mattress offers maximum comfort for you to sleep. A cover is included to keep the mattress clean.
You will also get memory foam pillows to support your head for additional comfort. An insulated base with breathable windows makes it even more comfortable.
The marine-grade 600d thick canvas keeps you protected from UV rays. Its 420d waterproof polyester cover with removable rain fly can easily handle rainwater. 110g fade-less gaze screened windows are there for the outdoor view and sun protection.
When it comes to the frame, Overland used marine-grade stainless steel hardware. It ensures durability and longevity. Its 1000g transportation cover keeps it dry and protected from UV rays when not in use.
You will also get a tubular telescoping ladder for easy entrance. Six built-in storage pockets with a storage loft make it easier to organize your staff.
The best roof top tent for Honda cr v should be easy to install. If your CRV has a factory or aftermarket roof rack, this one requires no drilling or modification.
A handheld led light, power bank pouch, and led Velcro strip provide you with a home-like feeling even in the jungle.
Things to Appreciate
- 3″ high-density foam mattress for added comfort
- Handheld light with Velcro strip to remove darkness
- Insulated base with breathable windows for a fresh environment
- Telescoping ladder for easy entrance
- Durable construction for all-weather use
- No storage pockets for the bar that holds the annex section out
- No mosquito netting.
3. Smittybilt Overlander Tent
Smittybilt Overlander Tent promises to deliver the highest comfort and convenience in your roof tent camping. This 92″ x 55″ size tent comes with a thick foam mattress that can handle 661 pounds. 2-3 people can easily accommodate themselves for sleeping and resting.
Its 600D thick waterproof top with rain fly prevents rainwater from coming in. A sunroof is there for UV protection during hot summer.
What about the wind and heavy rain? Well, this tent is equipped with anodized aluminum poles. It will smoothly withstand wind and rain.
The telescopic ladder allows you to climb up easily. Entrance becomes a lot easier for this ladder. This one features interior LED strips to make the inner environment more soothing.
Mosquitoes cause real problems in the jungle. If you want to enjoy the panorama view, the chances are high that mosquitos and other insects will come into the tent.
That is why this tent features side windows with mosquito netting. You can enjoy the fantastic outside view without letting mosquitoes enter the tent.
Installing and taking down is more accessible thanks to its user-friendly design and mounting brackets. A thick PVC cover keeps your tent free from dirt, UV rays, and water when not in use
Things to Appreciate
- Large size and thick mattress for maximum comfort
- Durable construction for wind, rain, and water protection
- Easy entrance for the ladder
- Side windows with mosquito nets for the best outdoor view
- Easy to install and takedown
- No handheld LED lights
- No tie-ups for tying additional items.
How Do You Sleep in A Honda CRV?
There are three ways to sleep in a Honda CRV. I will discuss them below.
Remove The Seat
Removing seats is a great way to sleep in your CRV. But it is labor-intensive and time-consuming. Let’s see the process.
- Fold down the chair and measure the car.
- Pick a good mattress according to the measurement.
- Remove both of your rear seats or fold them down if needed.
- Place the mattress on it.
- Enjoy sleeping on it.
Build A Platform
You can use a platform to put the mattress on it for a comfortable sleeping experience. A wooden bed or steel bed will work. But that will need preparation and time. To do that,
- Measure the back of the CRV for bed making.
- Make sure the bed legs pass the folded-down chair.
- To get a storage spot underneath your bed frame, try to add height to the platform.
- Now make a bed yourself or from a professional.
- Fold the chair and place the bed.
- Slide a mattress on the bed for sleeping. Make sure the bed is comfortable enough.
- Sleep on it.
Install A Roof Top Tent
A roof top tent is the most suitable option for sleeping in a Honda CRV. It is easy to use, less time-consuming, and flexible to use. To install it,
- Pick a good roof top tent compatible with your CRV.
- Slide down the roof top tent and attach the bolts. You can install it without drilling if the tent allows it.
- Fold down the windows and doors if needed.
- Install the telescoping ladder and enter the tent.
- Place the mattress inside the tent.
- Sleep in the tent easily and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have answered some of the most common questions related to this topic. Have a look at the section below.
The payload of the Honda CRV is 1,106lbs. Its curb weight varies from 3,337lbs to 3,455lbs. But you cannot carry more than 110lbs on the roof.
The Honda CRV roof weight limit is 110lbs in dynamic mode. It can hold up to 400lbs or more in static mode. So, make sure you pick a tent without that weight limit.
Yes, CRV comes with roof rails along with the crossbars. You can easily install a roof top tent on the Honda CRV. Make sure you follow the weight and height limit.
Time to Wrap Up
Outdoor camping has been a creative and healthy entertainment and a way to refresh your mind. And a roof top tent with your Honda CRV can take it to the next level.
Make sure you pick the best roof top tent for Honda CRV to get the maximum benefits of roof top tent. A quality tent will provide ample space, comfort, and safety in the jungle. To get that, check out the overall size, mattress quality, and construction. Try to get on with a mosquito net, lightweight ladder, and good fadeless PVC cover. Only then will you get the fun of roof top tenting.